Monday, November 12, 2012

Week 1 Day 1

On November the 3rd 2012 I finally voiced to my husband David that I would like to give running a shot. I have watched him and his love of running grow over the past year and a half, and many times thought that it would be a great thing for us to  do together, but I never thought that it was something that I could do. I had so many reasons within myself as to why I could not run with him, I weighed to much, I would slow him down, I could not do it alone, I would try it once and then quit so why bother trying, but that night saying it out loud and really wanting to try it was the most eye opening moment I  can remember. David's face lit up, he seemed so surprised and pleased like it was something he has secretly wanted to happen. I told him that I really needed him to be alright with helping me every step of the way, David happily said that he would be there for me every step  of the way, he would find the right method of starting for me and come along with me and support me and we would start on his birthday the following Saturday. Saturday the 10th of November.

The next day I wondered so many times "why did you open your mouth you can not do this". David did not say a word about our talk until I mentioned it a little later and the week, to which he said "oh I forgot you said that". I still wonder if he really did forget. I spent the whole week building myself up to fail, once Saturday morning came I stalled for at least an hour, where as David was up and in his running gear within minutes. He did not pressure me or push me, he just waited for me to change and get ready to go, honestly the best thing he could of done.

So off we went, David with the app for From the Couch to 5K on his phone ready to start. We had to walk for 5 minutes before we started to run, I was even out of breath during the walk. Then the time came and we were doing my type of running, David supporting me the whole way, telling me how great I was doing and how proud he was of me. We completed all the cycles which were run for 60 seconds walk for 90 seconds over a period of 20 minutes, thankfully as we were running/trotting David was giving me a count down of how long was left, 30 second, 20 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds. That made it so much easier for me, well as easy as it can get why my lungs are screaming at me, my heart is pounding more than I remember it ever doing but me wanting to honestly achieve the goal that the app has set for me. David even gave me the  option to opt out and stop if I wanted to, but I keep going because to be honest I was loving of the praise that David was showering on me.

Once we were done it was another 5 minute walk as part of the cool down that is part of the program, David was walking a few paces ahead of me when all of the emotions of what I had just done with the support and help of my husband hit and I  started to cry, but it was tears of joy and maybe disbelief in myself. I do not think anyone could of ever told how amazing doing that first run would make me feel, it was and still is so overwhelming, it is a high that no drug could ever give you. Having David turn to me and smile like he did at the moment has no words, and then standing crying with joy in his arms has no words that can describe it. Even now writing this down I am once again in tears of happiness, which trust me makes it tough to type.

We came home and David asked it it would be alright for him to share this event on Facebook, which at first I was apprehensive about, but I did agree. I have pasted his posting  below and just looked at it again and wow 17 likes.
Just got the best birthday present from my wife, Bren, as she and I completed day1 of week 1 of the couch to 5k program, very proud of her for doing this.
I found myself talking with David about how great I felt and and living on a cloud for 2 full days, do not get me wrong I hurt a lot, but it is so worth it for the feelings I have about myself and the fact that I really feel that this is something that has changed not only my life but my marriage.

Day two is today and yes I am scared about not being able to get it done, but this is something that I need to do for myself. I need to do it for that high once I am done and for the tears of joy that I am sure will come over the next 24 hours.

I found myself day dreaming and also voicing my new wish list of dreams, to complete a 5K with my husband and to have our children there at the end, to be able to run with our children and David and actually enjoy it, to be able to join David in his love of running.


1 comment:

  1. It is awesome being able to be there with you during this life changing process. The way this is effecting is a joy to see and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete